Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Life as a Foreigner

I can't believe it is already September time is moving by so quickly.  I am sorry about the lack of photos  I am still trying to find camera store, but I always seem to be distracted by the abundance of activities to participate in while in Taipei.  The exchange students are all so amazing and I love meeting people from all around the world.
   It is so easy to learn about another country from the true citizens who inhabit it, but I guess that is just one of the perks of an exchange. There are so many things to see, taste, smell, hear, and feel. All of the human senses heightened by every foreign sound, taste, and smell.
   The most amusing of the sounds is the tune of a big yellow truck which sounds just like the tune for ice-cream but it is not an ice-cream truck. In fact it is the truck that carries the horrid stench of garbage.
 So we all scream for....garbage? :)
Anyway, the strangest thing about being a foreigner is that all these new things are only foreign to you and you are the foreign to everyone else.

It is quite funny to be the only blond girl in a room full of Taiwanese people while they eat their cultural cuisine.  With chopsticks in my hand I am the entertainment. as a shovel the "cho do fu," or stinky tofu, down my throat, I get strange looks from those around me.  Every time I mention that I find stinky tofu delicious I get a high five from my classmates, because this is rare for foreigners. And even more rare for a blond, vegetarian, girl from Montana. How amusing, LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment